Home Staging is not just an art of preparing and redecorating a home for sale, it is also a proven real estate strategy. Staging a home can have a significant impact on the appeal of your home and increase its market value. If done wisely, it can turn a cold looking property into a warm and inviting home in the potential buyer’s mind.
Home staging Tips
Studies have shown that most buyers make a decision about a house within minutes of walking in the door. Here are some simple tips to make the most effective first impression:
- Make sure your home is spotlessly clean and eliminate unpleasant pet or food odours.
- Keep all curtains and blinds open and turn on the lights.
- Put fresh flowers in principal rooms.
- Add a new shower curtain, fresh towels and new guest soaps to every bath.
- Take one or two major pieces of furniture out of every room to create a sense of spaciousness.
- Items that do not enhance the decor of the room should be put away or stored off-site.
- Depersonalize the rooms by putting away family photos, mementos and distinctive artwork.
- Don’t leave any rooms empty, rent some furniture if necessary.
- Remove any clutter from the the kitchen counter top.
- Maintain neat and tidy closets. Storage areas need to look clean and organized.
- Apply neutral tones if you need to repaint walls or replace carpets.
- If necessary re-grout the tiles in the kitchen and bathrooms. It can make a big difference.
- The basement should be dry and clean. Use shelves or cabinets to store your materials.
- Move your lawn and put away toys and yard equipment.
Creating a positive first impression is crucial when selling your home. A staged home stands out from the competition, maximizes the selling price and sells faster!